It is officially truffle season in Melbourne, what better way to bring in the season than a hearty homemade Truffle and Mushroom Pizza.
This recipe is perfect to cozy up with this winter, pour yourself a glass of wine, kick your feet up and dig in.
Basic Pizza Dough
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups mushrooms
salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
250g mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
6 cremini mushrooms
2 tablespoons white truffle oil
Make your dough a day in advance and save your time in the kitchen. To plan ahead for future pizza parties, quadruple the dough recipe and divide into 4 balls. Wrap tightly in plastic and freeze. When ready to make pizza, let the dough slowly defrost in the fridge, then let come to room temperature.
- Combine lukewarm water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Brush large bowl lightly with olive oil. Mix flour and salt in processor; add yeast mixture and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Process until the dough forms a sticky ball; knead dough with your hands for about 5 minutes. Form into a ball and transfer to the bowl covered with olive oil; cover bowl with a wet towel and allow dough to rise in a warm area for about 2 hours.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat for 2 minutes. Add vegetable oil and heat for another minute. Sauté oyster mushrooms in the skillet over high heat, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Split pizza dough in half.
- Coat two 9-inch pizza pans each with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Form a ball with one half of the dough and spread out using your fingers. Push dough with your fingers until it reaches ends of the pan. Repeat with the second ball of dough. If you are using a sheet tray, do not divide the dough in half. Spread the dough into a rectangular shape.
- Add mozzarella cheese to dough. Scoop some ricotta cheese with a spoon and place on top of the mozzarella cheese.
- Place oyster mushrooms over mozzarella cheese.
- Place cremini mushrooms over oyster mushrooms; top with extra mozzarella cheese. Drizzle white truffle oil over pizza and season with salt and black pepper.
- Place pizza in oven at for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust is a golden brown color.
- Remove from oven and slice the pizza into eight pieces using a pizza slicer or a sharp knife.