Left Bank Melbourne's Famous Gnocchi Gorgonzola
Who can say no to cheesy, soft potato pillows in Gorgonzola cheese sauce…not me!
A fabulously popular dish that has been on our menu most of our ten-year history. Try it and if for some reason you’re not sure come in to Left Bank Melbourne after this terrible Covid-19 time and compare…
Ingredients for the Gnocchi
800 gms Sebago Potatoes, Peeled
2 whole Eggs
2 Cups Plain Flour
¼ Cup Grana Padano Parmesan, grated Fine
Nutmeg Pinch, preferably whole, grated fine
Ingredients or the Sauce
2 Cups Heavy Cream
200 gms Gorgonzola soft Cheese, rind removed
1 Tbspoon Pinenuts, toasted
1/3 Cup Basil Leaves & Fresh Continental Parsley Leaves
- Steam or boil the potatoes for 15minutes or until tender.
- Once cooked (if boiled - strain to remove all water) and allow to sit for 10 mins.
- Lightly dust some flour on a clean bench,
- Pass through a potato masher directly onto the floured bench
- Add the eggs, half of the flour and all of the parmesan and knead into a dough.
- Add the remaining flour, keep kneading till dough is smooth.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll the portions into 2cm - diameter logs, about 30cm long.
- Use a lightly floured knife to cut 2cm pieces and place on the baking paper. Note – Don’t overload the cut gnocchi when placing on the baking paper, spread them out to avoid them sticking together
- Repeat step 10 till all the dough is cut.
- Fill a medium size saucepan with water and place on the stove, heat till water boils.
- Once the water has boiled, add a pinch of salt and gently place the gnocchi in the boiling water. Note – Cook 1 tray at a time.
- Gently stir the gnocchi with a wooden spoon
- Once the gnocchi has risen to the top, wait 20 seconds.
- Remove the gnocchi from the boiling water and place in a large bowl and lightly drizzle with olive oil to avoid them sticking together.
- Once all the gnocchi from the 1st tray is cooked and removed from the boiling water, repeat with the remaining cut gnocchi till all is cooked.
Let’s Get to the Sauce
- Place the Gorgonzola cheese and the cream into the pan and slowly heat, continuously stirring untill the gorgonzola has melted and is through the cream.
- Add the gnocchi, parsley and basil leaves and toss.
- Season with Salt and cracked black pepper, and serve